Thread: Changes to Season/Series recording option

Changes to Season/Series recording option

I would like to see the "Record season" choise changed to record ONLY shows that is from that particular season, ie if I point to a show in the epg that is episode 3 season 5 and choose "Record season (new episodes)" npvr records only episodes of that show from season 5. In addition I want a choise that says "Record series (new episodes)" that will cause episodes from ALL seasons to be recorded, both from season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5......

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

When this stuff was originally implemented, very few people actually had season information with their listings. Now a lot more people do, but I'd say it's still only about 50% of people that have season/episode information in their listings, so any changes would need to also make sense for uses that didn't have it (or only have it on selected shows or channels).

I could look into changing the logic to:
    1) if the original recurring didn't have any specific season info, include any episodes matching by name (like today)
    2) if the original recurring did have season specific info, include any episodes that specify that same season or have no season info known

I don't understand the value of "Record season (new episodes)" being restricted to only a single season. I can't imagine the use case. What I can imagine is angry users who set "Record season (new episodes)" and find their recordings no longer work next season.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

I guess if I was to add the logic I described above, it might need a tickbox in the settings screen to enable the change.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I don't understand the value of "Record season (new episodes)" being restricted to only a single season.
    This is really only valid when old shows are marked as new because of missing guide data. It is worse if users use the short delault of previously recorded unique ID history.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I don't understand the value of "Record season (new episodes)" being restricted to only a single season. I can't imagine the use case. What I can imagine is angry users who set "Record season (new episodes)" and find their recordings no longer work next season.
    In that case, I'd recommend your users to look up the definition of Season

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    This is really only valid when old shows are marked as new because of missing guide data. It is worse if users use the short delault of previously recorded unique ID history.

Martin
    That is exactly my problem, lots and lots of reruns of old season episodes that is treated as new because there were no episode data earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I guess if I was to add the logic I described above, it might need a tickbox in the settings screen to enable the change.
    That might satisfy everyone