Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hauppauge colossus 2 with sky

hauppauge colossus 2 with sky

hi
    im looking at buying one of these (hauppauge colossus 2) to use with a sky box in the uk. i was hopeing, i can use this with npvr and be able to see all the sky channels on the tv guide as well as other channels. also, being able to select and veiw via npvr. would any body be able to help me ?

You'd probably need one of the cheap hdmi splitters that strip hdcp, so that the sky box content can be recorded. You'd also need to find an EPG source (ScheduleDirect, or XMLTV)

Great thank sub. So, I should be able to see sky's channel list from 1 to 1000 any click any channel that I desire with out haveing to manually do any thing with the sky box I was reading this forum earlier https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthrea...-Blaster/page2
    What the Dual output RF2 Sky Controller for ?

Quote Originally Posted by spudjg1 View Post
    Great thank sub. So, I should be able to see sky's channel list from 1 to 1000 any click any channel that I desire with out haveing to manually
    It'll be just be the normal NextPVR - any channels and tv guide you've setup will show up in the NextPVR Guide screen, and you can watch live tv or schedule recordings. Whenever the application needs to use a channel, it'll use whatever blaster you've told it to use, to make sure the set top box is on the correct channel.

do any thing with the sky box I was reading this forum earlier https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthrea...-Blaster/page2
    I'm not in the UK, so don't really know anything about this specific set top box. If the blaster that comes with the Colossus2 doesn't work with the Sky box, then you'll probably need to add a 3rd party blaster.

Great thank sub. So, I should be able to see sky's channel list from 1 to 1000 any click any channel that I desire with out haveing to manually do any thing with the sky box I was reading this forum earlier https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthrea...-Blaster/page2
    It might help to think of it from the point of view of the Sky box ... which thinks that the Colossus is a TV and sends a HDMI signal to the Colossus as it would to a TV. The Sky box thinks that the PC running the NextPVR Recording Service is a human with a remote in his hand ... changing the channel on the Sky box. Typically, NextPVR can receive only one channel at a time from the Sky box (because the Sky box only allows you to connect one TV at a time). You might be able to do something clever if the Sky box is able to send a signal to a second TV and you can find a tuner or other device that can pretend to be the second TV and pass a second channel to NextPVR.
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

From the linked post it seems to be a way to control the sky box with rs232 instead of an ir blaster. Not all PC's have serial ports now.

Martin

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    It might help to think of it from the point of view of the Sky box ... which thinks that the Colossus is a TV and sends a HDMI signal to the Colossus as it would to a TV. The Sky box thinks that the PC running the NextPVR Recording Service is a human with a remote in his hand ... changing the channel on the Sky box. Typically, NextPVR can receive only one channel at a time from the Sky box (because the Sky box only allows you to connect one TV at a time). You might be able to do something clever if the Sky box is able to send a signal to a second TV and you can find a tuner or other device that can pretend to be the second TV and pass a second channel to NextPVR.
    would you know, if it be possible to access sky catch up service (on demand) on the sky box via npvr as well or would it just be the channels ?

The tuner settings in NextPVR just send commands to change channels. You could also tune to the shows manually and capture with NextPVR but it is better with sub's capture4me application.

Martin

i would like to use a sky q box is there a good capture card that works with npvr for 4k hdr ?
    Last edited by spudjg1; 2018-11-08 at 10:06 PM.