Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android app looks like a beta

Android app looks like a beta

The Dev should be ashamed to put out such an incomplete product, then expect to charge $6.99 for it.
    You can't record, the guide info is incomplete, navigation is horrible, no usable screen options, no startup options, and there haven't been any updates or improvements since it came out over a year ago.

Looks like some kid threw an app together. Google should throw this app off the store.

NextPVR is an awesome product, this app is not worth your time or money. IMO

Thanks for the brutal feedback

Honestly, you'd be better off giving constructive feedback, which I can then use to fix/improve things.

What device are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by dcol View Post
    You can't record, the guide info is incomplete
    I'm happy to hear more details about these problems - you absolutely should get a complete guide (assuming it's complete on your PC), and your should be able to view the details of show and schedule it for recording.

and there haven't been any updates or improvements since it came out over a year ago.
    That's bollocks. The Android app was first released in April this year, and only as a phone/tablet application. A few months later (July/August?), initial support was added for Android TV.

There has been 10 releases to the Play Store in the 7 or so months since that first Android build.

Don't be cheap - it's $6.99. Most people spend more than that on coffee, or grabbing a bite at McDonalds. Since I give NextPVR away, and people just don't donate, having the iOS and Android clients costing $6.99 is to help cover my costs, particularly since I had to buy Android hardware for development/testing. Think of it as helping to support the project, and getting an Android client at the same time.

NPVR gives the best support. I found this post to be a total shock.

Although, it takes about 4 minutes for my guide to completely load on my Android app for 34 OTA channels with SD as guide data source, I never put a post in about it. Maybe he is experiencing that.

Very happy with the app, except all the frequent updates
    Last edited by p37307; 2018-11-10 at 05:13 AM. Reason: specified app
    ~Paul

Setup: NextPVR, Serviio, WinTV-quadHD and WinTV-HVR-955Q. Custom Roku channel developer. Feeding Tube Advocate. About me or http://chambers.pw.

If you haven't broken it at least once, you're not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by dcol View Post
    The Dev should be ashamed to put out such an incomplete product, then expect to charge $6.99 for it.
    You can't record, the guide info is incomplete, navigation is horrible, no usable screen options, no startup options, and there haven't been any updates or improvements since it came out over a year ago.

Looks like some kid threw an app together. Google should throw this app off the store.

The poster should be ashamed to put out such an inaccurate post then expect to get a response.

You can't see any reliable information in the post, no effort appears to have been made to resolve problems and there haven't been any corrections or apology since it came out less than a day ago.

Looks like some kid threw a post together. We should throw the poster off the forum ... but we won't ... we will continue to provide polite and helpful support.
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

Graham.... that's a ditto from me.
    It always amazes me that someone with a complaint barges in and throws a bucket of 5h1t instead of asking for help.
    Given the dedication Sub has to this project and the fact most of it is free, I'm surprised at the restraint Sub used in his response.
    No flame wars here though :-)
    NPVR Version= 4.2.4_190307
    Intel i7 Quad Core 3200 + 16GB DDR2 Gigabyte Motherboard
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    BlackGold dual DVB T & S tuner
    60Gb SSD System Disk (Raid 1)
    60Gb SSD Recording Cache
    4Tb Media Store (WD Red 4Tb x 2 in Raid 1)

Raspberry Pi2 running OSMC (Kodi v18.3) x 2
    Raspberry Pi3 B+ running OSMC (Kodi v18.3)

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Thanks for the brutal feedback

Honestly, you'd be better off giving constructive feedback, which I can then use to fix/improve things.

What device are you using?

I'm happy to hear more details about these problems - you absolutely should get a complete guide (assuming it's complete on your PC), and your should be able to view the details of show and schedule it for recording.

That's bollocks. The Android app was first released in April this year, and only as a phone/tablet application. A few months later (July/August?), initial support was added for Android TV.

There has been 10 releases in the 7 or so months since that first Android build in the Google Play Store.

Don't be cheap - it's $6.99. Most people spend more than that on coffee, or grabbing a bite at McDonalds. Since I give NextPVR away, and people just don't donate, having the iOS and Android clients costing $6.99 is to help cover my costs, particularly since I had to buy Android hardware for development/testing. Think of it as helping to support the project, and getting an Android client at the same time.
    Hey, sub, are you sure you're not part Customer Service Representative? I'd have been a tad harsher. I'm having excellent results on my Galaxy tablet. Well worth the money.

My expierience with both the web app and the Android app is their UI aren't very responsive when there are a lot of channels and I have provide sub and UJB with feedback on this and many improvements have been made and it still is work in progress. I have about 200 and things do get too slow for general browsing. They both work much better when the channel group is selected with the channels that are watched most. I think op offered little of value with his post but given he is using not one but two big IPTV sources he could have 1000s of channels which I figure would stress the app beyond it's design.

Even my cable STB and Kodi suffers this problem really the whole EPG/PVR design didn't consider people having the ability to stream every TV channel imaginable.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by jcole998 View Post
    Hey, sub, are you sure you're not part Customer Service Representative? I'd have been a tad harsher.

Honestly, I don't mind the occasional person having a rant. It's in their own best interest to give more constructive feedback though.

When I think back of all the (FREE) help sub has given me over the years, I'm embarrassed to see the original poster is also from the USA

I understand some of the frustrations with the android TV client but I wouldn't have worded like that. I expected a more mature client, but that's not a knock - to be fair I read nothing about the capabilities in advance. And I did sit and think about the purchase $8.99US=$11.91CDN, but realized I was being cheap and bought it.

This is a labour of *ahem* love for sub (it must be right?). Anybody who gives their time, energy and skill to the community should certainly be treated with respect. We all benefit.

Channel icons, option to change day, displaying NEW, REPEAT in EPG would be nice to haves in the android client. I'm sure at least some of that is on the roadmap.
    Last edited by Cybergy; 2018-11-15 at 11:24 AM.