Advert:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: 4.2.3 available (11th November)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NextPVR HQ, Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    87,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakesty View Post
    One thing I'm testing now is the HDHomeRunDVR process on a QNAP, which BTW is Linux. Would NextPVR install on a QNAP as well?
    Yes, in theory - I haven't explicitly tried installing it on a QNAP device, but should be possible.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Vinita, OK
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakesty View Post
    One thing I'm testing now is the HDHomeRunDVR process on a QNAP, which BTW is Linux. Would NextPVR install on a QNAP as well? As far as the FrontEnd, I have an NVIDIA Shield, and would be willing to use that with NPVR or KODI, just haven't gotten that far yet.
    So if you need a QNAP tester, I'd be willing to give it a go.
    thanks for your continued development Sub.
    It maybe possible to build a Docker Container to run NextPVR, or could look at Channels, Emby, SageTV, Plex and think there host other out that will work with HDHomeRun device.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK / Ireland
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
    Interesting
    So your final going to modernize look and fell of NextPVR?
    I really like the present style of NextPVR. It works as an appliance like a commercial DVR / Sky+ would, highly intuitive. I honestly don't like Kodi style apps, they seem to be form over function. Hopefully the new NextPVR can cater for both tastes.

    I'd be really interested to see if 5.x will fix the glitching OSD graphics on EVR with Intel HD chipsets. I'm losing faith that Intel will get to this bug themselves.
    "It's better than a box!"

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Vinita, OK
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
    I really like the present style of NextPVR. It works as an appliance like a commercial DVR / Sky+ would, highly intuitive. I honestly don't like Kodi style apps, they seem to be form over function. Hopefully the new NextPVR can cater for both tastes.

    I'd be really interested to see if 5.x will fix the glitching OSD graphics on EVR with Intel HD chipsets. I'm losing faith that Intel will get to this bug themselves.
    Agree I'm not a fan Kodi
    All the themes are all too dark that a major problem when have channel logos that are black
    No way to change the fav recording setting once it set you can't change them with out del them and add new one's back in.
    No way to mark Movie and Show as watched I ask for this many years ago when it was GB-PVR
    No PC Client I really don't like the idea of exposing the NextPVR file over network
    The web base is ok but dose not scale very well it customs option just look at Now and TV Guide way to many row 20 and columns 9+ hour this need cut in half with out using zoom mode
    I don't like Video or Music nor the Photo layout to me it just looks to awkward
    What I think maybe sub could modernize look and fell a long line of what Windows 10 has done more of a Fluent Design what I was think

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NextPVR HQ, Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    87,881
    Quote Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
    So your final going to modernize look and fell of NextPVR?
    I wasn't going to reply to this, but since it's come up again...

    On the NextPVR project in general...

    My philosophy in the application, particularly in the last couple of years, is to focus much more on the 'TV aspects' than the 'all encompassing media center aspects'. The number of users building huge libraries of video files is a lot less than in the past. The reality is that most people these days are using a combination of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime (and various other country-specific services) etc for that type of thing. They're used to having multiple services and switching between them (picture AppleTV / AndroidTV user etc). Being able to record live tv is still super useful, and that is where NextPVR comes in, as another one of those services, along side these mainstream media services.

    On the user interface, my focus is less on building a UI that *absolutely requires* a rich amount of metadata and artwork, because I'm outside the US, like a large number of other users, and recognize that most of the world isn't going to have US/Canada SchedulesDirect-quality listings data. (so the UI hasn't been built heavily around covers and artwork etc)


    Specifically regarding NextPVR v5...

    NextPVR v5 is largely about making it's services available on other platforms (since an increasing number of people don't want an HTPC these days). It's largely about the backend (recording services etc). The NextPVR.exe user interface is still there (for users on Windows, or on other platforms with webclients like nlite and xnewa).

    NextPVR's other user interfaces like iOS/Android apps continue to work with NextPVR v5. These are the types of platforms where people are typically consuming their content these days. It's these platforms I see as the future for the NextPVR user interface, so expect to see much more focus on these.

    Users can use Kodi as a client if they prefer. Emby as a client is a little more up in the air (may not be supported).

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Vinita, OK
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I wasn't going to reply to this, but since it's come up again...

    On the NextPVR project in general...

    My philosophy in the application, particularly in the last couple of years, is to focus much more on the 'TV aspects' than the 'all encompassing media center aspects'. The number of users building huge libraries of video files is a lot less than in the past. The reality is that most people these days are using a combination of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime (and various other country-specific services) etc for that type of thing. They're used to having multiple services and switching between them (picture AppleTV / AndroidTV user etc). Being able to record live tv is still super useful, and that is where NextPVR comes in, as another one of those services, along side these mainstream media services.

    On the user interface, my focus is less on building a UI that *absolutely requires* a rich amount of metadata and artwork, because I'm outside the US, like a large number of other users, and recognize that most of the world isn't going to have US/Canada SchedulesDirect-quality listings data. (so the UI hasn't been built heavily around covers and artwork etc)


    Specifically regarding NextPVR v5...

    NextPVR v5 is largely about making it's services available on other platforms (since an increasing number of people don't want an HTPC these days). It's largely about the backend (recording services etc). The NextPVR.exe user interface is still there (for users on Windows, or on other platforms with webclients like nlite and xnewa).

    NextPVR's other user interfaces like iOS/Android apps continue to work with NextPVR v5. These are the types of platforms where people are typically consuming their content these days. It's these platforms I see as the future for the NextPVR user interface, so expect to see much more focus on these.

    Users can use Kodi as a client if they prefer. Emby as a client is a little more up in the air (may not be supported).
    I think it more about platform support across more then one which what seem to key thing that people are after Roku, iOS and Android and believe or not people don't like switching from apps to another they prefer be in one local place if all possible.
    That Funny Plex and Emby that what it was all bout in first tell they start add DVR support which really help it grow even more to point now that Emby is pulling user away from Plex because Plex don't lesson.

    I hope you at lases change the way the fav recording setting work as once it set we can't change the setting with out del them and add new one's back in.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NextPVR HQ, Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    87,881
    Quote Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
    people don't like switching from apps to another they prefer be in one local place if all possible.
    Yep, but that's just the way it is though - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc are always going to be separate apps, and they're the bulk of content people are watching these days. These companies have an obligation to protect the content they offer, so you pretty much have to access it through their app (so no easy way for this to be integrated into one application).

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Yep, but that's just the way it is though - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc are always going to be separate apps, and they're the bulk of content people are watching these days. These companies have an obligation to protect the content they offer, so you pretty much have to access it through their app (so no easy way for this to be integrated into one application).
    Agreed. I think this is where Kodi can really shine with its DRM approach if they can win the trust of content providers. That's the only HTPC solution I see that would bring everything together.

    Nothing beats the NextPVR frontend app though. Kodi is just not nearly as polished or slick. NextPVR focuses on one thing, and does it very very well.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I wasn't going to reply to this, but since it's come up again...

    On the NextPVR project in general...

    My philosophy in the application, particularly in the last couple of years, is to focus much more on the 'TV aspects' than the 'all encompassing media center aspects'. The number of users building huge libraries of video files is a lot less than in the past. The reality is that most people these days are using a combination of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime (and various other country-specific services) etc for that type of thing. They're used to having multiple services and switching between them (picture AppleTV / AndroidTV user etc). Being able to record live tv is still super useful, and that is where NextPVR comes in, as another one of those services, along side these mainstream media services.

    On the user interface, my focus is less on building a UI that *absolutely requires* a rich amount of metadata and artwork, because I'm outside the US, like a large number of other users, and recognize that most of the world isn't going to have US/Canada SchedulesDirect-quality listings data. (so the UI hasn't been built heavily around covers and artwork etc)


    Specifically regarding NextPVR v5...

    NextPVR v5 is largely about making it's services available on other platforms (since an increasing number of people don't want an HTPC these days). It's largely about the backend (recording services etc). The NextPVR.exe user interface is still there (for users on Windows, or on other platforms with webclients like nlite and xnewa).

    NextPVR's other user interfaces like iOS/Android apps continue to work with NextPVR v5. These are the types of platforms where people are typically consuming their content these days. It's these platforms I see as the future for the NextPVR user interface, so expect to see much more focus on these.

    Users can use Kodi as a client if they prefer. Emby as a client is a little more up in the air (may not be supported).
    Maybe its more to do with the Emby NextPVR plugin, but really hope Emby will still be supported by yourself.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NextPVR HQ, Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    87,881
    Quote Originally Posted by arrbee99 View Post
    Maybe its more to do with the Emby NextPVR plugin, but really hope Emby will still be supported by yourself.
    Unfortunately Emby used a different API than all the other clients, and that wont be available in NextPVR v5. I would have spent time with the Emby guys helping them convert the plugin to use the main API, but with them going commercial now, I'm not sure I'd bother. They're welcome to update the plugin themselves, and I'll be happy to answer any questions, but they'll have to do the work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •