Thread: SSD for operating system

SSD for operating system

Hi Guys, my HTPC is Win7 32 bit and I'd like to switch it over to 64 bit as my VPN provider only supports 64 bit in their app.

I have a 1TB drive with the operating system and recordings on it.

I'd like to separate the operating sytem and the storage drives out so future operating system upgrades are easier (Win7, though I love it, won't last for ever!).

120gb SSD drives are cheap these days...large enough? And from what I gather, SSDs don't like repetitive file saves, so moving the NPVR buffer directory to the storage drive would be a good idea?

Any downsides to using a SSD? I have a spare drive bay, so I'm not opposed to using a traditional HD either.

I'll probably look at increasing the storage drive size too while I'm at it.

I'd appreciate any and all input!

Thanks!

Steve

I am setup as you propose with a 120GB SSD for Win7 and NPVR and a 1TB storage drive for recordings, buffer and misc storage. Works fine and 120GB is plenty big for 7 and NPVR. I have several other systems in the house with a similar setup, i.e., 120GB SSD for OS and programs. But then I don't have any VMs or dual boots or anything complex or fancy. I would go for a name brand SSD, which seems to be Samsung. That said, I have one Samsung and several Adata and have had no failures in several years. Also a Kingston or Crucial or both, I think, FWIW.

Go for it.
    HTPC: Optiplex 7010, HDHR Prime/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 4.0.4, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asus H110M, Pentium G4500, NPVR 3.9.2, Win7 Home Premium

I've a few 120gb SSDs as system drives and have had no real problems.
    I've had an ancient 60gb OCZ Vertex drive for many years and it died suddenly. ISTR they had a bit of a reputation. I just had a 2TB Samsung fail -- that was a pain.
    I think SSD's are more reliable than in the past and with their prices tumbling, I would have no worries about them "wearing out"

I have been using and SSD for years for the os and livetv buffer and no issues and the utility that came with it shows green still. It helps if you sleep your server too.

That being said I just bought a cheap Acer and I added an m.2 nvme drive and it blows the SSD performance away and we'll worth a small premium in price.

Martin

Thanks guys! I'll get one coming.
    FWIW - I wasn't worried about it wearing out because of the cost, just the pita if it goes down as they never go down when it's convenient (is there ever a convenient time???).

Thanks again!

Steve

SSDs have a limited write-cycle life, but read cycles are (from what I understand...) pretty much unlimited.

I'm using a 480Gig m.2 drive as my boot drive, with a hybrid drive for temporary recording files. (Untested as yet, though...)

I am using a Samsung M.2 drive as the main drive in my Win 10 Pro x64. It is 1T and stores the OS as well as all the recordings. I went this way because of the speed. I record sometimes up to 8 of more shows at the same time. The newer SSDs are good for more writes than you can count. Enjoy.

I had a cheap Kingston SSD300 120GB in my old rig, dumped recordings (only ever one st a time though) to internal 3.5” HDs, was fine for years. If it’s an NPVR server only then it’s totally fine. If you’re worried about failures and the PITA to setup again, maybe buy two 120GB (if you can still find them!) SSDs abd stick them in a RAID setup (chances they won’t die together?) or have the server do a regular image clone from one to the other. I believe Windows 10 has this functionality built in https://www.windowscentral.com/how-b...omatically?amp but I’ve never tried it.
    k