Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording Two shows using same channel

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    (this is why I stick around... so once or twice a year, I will strike down upon thee with great verbiage and furious typing those who fail to understand NRecord, and you will know my name is Johnsonx42 when I lay my explanation upon thee)
    I have read your previous descriptions of NextPVR scheduling ... and this is the best yet.

NextPVR does what it needs to do. There is little point in making the scheduling more sophisticated because any attempt at more cleverness can be wrecked at recording time by someone doing one or two "Quick Records" (or watching Live TV) moments before a show is due to start recording.
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

OK What do I have to do to make sure that a second show uses the same tuner as the first show so that the second turner is available for a show on a different channel. The shows recordings are done on the fly not preschedules as selecting All SHows on this channels doesn't always work or at least doesn't show in the client as to be recorded (shown as red) I'm willing to use padding or no padding or changing which shows are selected first or whatever. Just want to record show 1 on tuner 0, show 2 (same channel, a show which directly follows show 1) on the same tuner so that I can record another show at the same time as show 2 but on a different channel. I'm just confused which shows to select and in which order seems post padding is irrevelent. Any clues please.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyCairns View Post
    ... The shows recordings are done on the fly not preschedules as selecting All SHows on this channels doesn't always work or at least doesn't show in the client as to be recorded (shown as red)
    Selecting All Shows should work and shows that are scheduled to be recorded should be highlighted in red. Please duplicate the problem(s) and attach NextPVR logs to a post listing the shows that should be recorded and are not highlighted.

NextPVR uses data in the EPG to decide if a show is "New" ... It might be that your EPG source is providing unreliable data regarding the "newness" of a show. Do you get different results if you schedule recording of "all" shows rather than "new" shows?

By default, NextPVR avoids recording episodes that have already been recorded (including episodes that have been recorded and then deleted). You can delete the recording history using the "-removehistory" command line option ... http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki....andLineOptions

It should be possible to rely on NextPVR to make good decisions about the use of tuners.

I think I've solved my problem. Thanks to all who replied.

@HollyCairns...Would you care to share?

@johnsonx42...Many thanks for your (almost)thorough explanation of tuner use. You were SO CLOSE to explaining my situation but missed the mark. I'm making all this noise since there are occasions that my computer clock and the TV next work clock show have different time. Many times I have missed the beginning or the end of a show. Padding was the answer. When it works. I don't really care what tuner is selected for a given show, but indicating that a tuner needed for channel 2 is not available when there is already a tuner on channel 2 makes no sense. I was told it has to do with tuner sharing. I was told that tuner selection can be influenced by when and in what order shows are scheduled in addition to recurring show priority. I have been unable to combine these elements into the desired results.

Can you explain why NextPVR will not choose a tuner that is already tuned to the needed channel and share it? I can't seem to get an answer. Tuners were shared much more often in earlier versions.
    Later...JohnC

System Status: Humming
    Desktop: Intel DX38BT MB - Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad - AMD HD6670 Video
    Software: Win 10 Pro(Creators) - NextPVR - WinTV8 - Total Media Extreme - VLC
    Video: Verizon FiOS - Hauppauge DCR-3250 - Hauppauge 1512 HDPVR2

Quote Originally Posted by jcole998 View Post
    Can you explain why NextPVR will not choose a tuner that is already tuned to the needed channel and share it? I can't seem to get an answer. Tuners were shared much more often in earlier versions.
    I apologise if I have missed something.

What are the symptoms of the problem that you are trying to solve?
    Do you have shows that are not being recorded even though a tuner is available?
    Does NextPVR report "conflicts" even though a tuner is available?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole998 View Post
    @johnsonx42...Many thanks for your (almost)thorough explanation of tuner use. You were SO CLOSE to explaining my situation but missed the mark. I'm making all this noise since there are occasions that my computer clock and the TV next work clock show have different time. Many times I have missed the beginning or the end of a show. Padding was the answer. When it works. I don't really care what tuner is selected for a given show, but indicating that a tuner needed for channel 2 is not available when there is already a tuner on channel 2 makes no sense. I was told it has to do with tuner sharing. I was told that tuner selection can be influenced by when and in what order shows are scheduled in addition to recurring show priority. I have been unable to combine these elements into the desired results.

It will, if it needs to. The answer will have to do with recurring recording priority, tuner allocation already done (i.e. single recordings), and the exact times of the shows in question (particularly, when you have shows that start a minute ahead of the hour, or finish a minute after the hour, this can lead to chaos).

It helps to remember that the scheduler schedules one show (recurring recording) at a time, and each individual recording is scheduled against the backdrop of everything ALREADY scheduled, but without regard nor even knowledge of what WILL be scheduled. So it will give you less than ideal arrangements. You can almost always analyze the schedule NextPVR has laid out and come up with a better arrangement. That's just the way it is.

Keep in mind also that cablecard tuners are multi-record capable in only the most limited sense - they can deliver data from the exact same channel to multiple recording streams, that's it. They can't deliver multiple TV channels carried on the same physical frequency like a regular digital tuner can. So their utility is limited to supporting padding on back-to-back recordings on the same channel if-and-only-if the scheduler happens to put the two recordings on the same tuner.

Consider this (assume 1 hour shows, and assume you have 3 tuners, 21, 22 & 23):

Show 1, Priority 1, Channel A, 8pm
    Show 2, Priority 2, Channel B, 9pm
    Show 3, Priority 3, Channel A, 9PM

The scheduler will schedule Show 1 on Tuner 21, Show 2 on Tuner 21, Show 3 on Tuner 22. Yes, I know that's not what you want. Now, let's add 1-minute pre-padding:

Show 1, Priority 1, Channel A, 8pm, 1-min pre-pad
    Show 2, Priority 2, Channel B, 9pm, 1-min pre-pad
    Show 3, Priority 3, Channel A, 9PM, 1-min pre-pad

The scheduler will STILL schedule Show 1 on Tuner 21, Show 2 on Tuner 21, Show 3 on Tuner 22. However at recording time, the recording engine will move Show 2 to tuner 23 to start pre-padding. Show 3 will stay on Tuner 22. I know, still not what you want, but you do get your padding on all 3 shows... but if there are more shows in the same timeslots, all may be ruined.

WHY WHY WHY WHY? Why can't it know to put Show 2 on Tuner 22 and Show 3 on Tuner 21, in order to keep Tuner 21 on Channel A the whole time? Because when the scheduler schedules Show 2 on Tuner 21, it has no idea Show 3 will come along later. It's not going to use a 2nd tuner when the 1st is available (because, for all it knows, the next two recordings to come along will be a 2 hour movie starting at 8, and a 9pm show that starts a minute early at 8:59; if it "burns" a tuner on Show 2, there will be a conflict).

Now reverse the priority of Show 2 & 3:

Show 1, Priority 1, Channel A, 8pm
    Show 2, Priority 3, Channel B, 9pm
    Show 3, Priority 2, Channel A, 9PM

Now the scheduler will schedule Show 1 on Tuner 21, Show 3 on Tuner 21, and Show 2 on Tuner 22. Now Tuner 21 stays on Channel A. That's what you want. YOU can do this after looking at the results of the scheduling... NextPVR can't.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1