Thread: Replacement for HDHomeRun Prime

Replacement for HDHomeRun Prime

My HDHomeRun Prime died recently. Apparently SiliconDust no longer manufactures the HDRD3-CC model. They have a six tuner "Coming Soon", but no one knows when it will be released. I've been watching Ebay, hoping to find a used one at an affordable price, but used devices are selling for more that what I paid for a new device. So......I'm looking for a replacement.

What else can I use besides a HDHomeRun Prime? What does everyone else use, and what works best with NPVR?

Thanks

Daryl

When it comes to cablecard devices, pretty much your only options are the HDHomeRun devices, or the Hauppauge DCR devices (which are actually manufactured by SiliconDust).

Quote Originally Posted by rosede View Post
    Apparently SiliconDust no longer manufactures the HDRD3-CC model. They have a six tuner "Coming Soon", but no one knows when it will be released.
    That has been posted on their website for years now. Still no device.
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, Nvidia GT710, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 4.2.4
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    When it comes to cablecard devices, pretty much your only options are the HDHomeRun devices, or the Hauppauge DCR devices (which are actually manufactured by SiliconDust).
    It appears that the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-3250 is comparable to the HomeRun Prime that I had. How well does that work work with NPVR?

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by rosede View Post
    It appears that the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-3250 is comparable to the HomeRun Prime that I had. How well does that work work with NPVR?
    To NextPVR it just looks like an HDHomeRun. I'm not in the US, so don't have any firsthand experience with the device to be able to tell you much. From what I've heard, they work fine. It's USB device instead of a network tuner, but the drivers present it as a virtual network device, so it looks pretty much the same to NextPVR.

The Hauppauge DCR-3250 is a network cable card device with three tuners. I've been using one for years with Verizon FiOS and never a glitch. Highly recommended.

Ah sorry - right you are. Only the Hauppauge DCR-2650 is the USB version.

Ever since I installed a Hauppauge DCR-2650 on my new Windows 10 machine and integrated it all with NextPVR, I have never been happier. Don't worry about Hauppauge's docs that say that the 2650 only works Windows 7 Media Center. The DCR-2650 is one of the most cost effective ways to replace either internal PCI tuners or external HDHomeRun boxes. I got my 2650 refurbished for $59 and I picked up a cable card for free from my local cable company office. I was able to get the card integrated and working via the cable company's tech over a phone call saving the cost of an in-house tech visit. And I'll just say that NextPVR is the absolute BEST replacement for Windows Media Center which I thought I would never be able to give up.