Thread: iOS App: Swipe Direction Convention (iPhone 7) and no Swipe Response on old iPad2?

iOS App: Swipe Direction Convention (iPhone 7) and no Swipe Response on old iPad2?

Retesting iOS after a long hiatus:

Two questions:

1. Iphone 7 - iOS App

• If I swipe forwards (L->R) the stream goes backwards; is this the intended direction of play?
    • Swipe backwards (R->L) skips forwards; but this seems non-intuitive direction wise?
    • Also, oddly, I scrubbed forwards, then swiped forwards and it went back way more than a minute, actually to the start again?

2. Less of an issue as it may be old Tech, but there is no Swipe Response at all (either direction) on an old iPad2? The ReadMe says NPVR 3.7.7 up and I saw - fixes for minor compatibility issues with iOS 10, so I am assuming the older iOS is not the issue but rather the device?

cheers

k.

[It is actually a "4th Gen" iPad, not an iPad2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jksmurf; 2019-02-14 at 08:11 AM.
    ASUS STRIX X470-F AMD 2700x 4GHz | Win10Prox64 | 32GB | NVIDIA GEforce GT1030 Fanless | WinTV DMB-TH | WinTV HVR-1280 | Hauppauge Colossus | Various HD's | AC86U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A110 | RPi2 | Sony Bravia LCD X9000F Android TV |. Frustrated that NextPVR is not working? Take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by jksmurf View Post
    • If I swipe forwards (L->R) the stream goes backwards; is this the intended direction of play?
    • Swipe backwards (R->L) skips forwards; but this seems non-intuitive direction wise?
    Yes, that's correct.

I talked through with people at the time to determine what the swipe directions should represent. Picture it this way, when your swipe R->L, you're reaching forward along the timeline, putting your finger down (grabbing the timeline), and pulling yourself towards that time. So the act of putting your finger down to the right side of the screen is further into the future on the timeline, and putting your finger down on the left side is in the past on the timeline, then the swipe is pulling the playback position towards that point.

ie, it's same as the standard trackpad behaviour on a MacBook, or swiping on a long web page using a browser (if you imagine it rotated).

Quote Originally Posted by jksmurf View Post
    2. Less of an issue as it may be old Tech, but there is no Swipe Response at all (either direction) on an old iPad2? The ReadMe says NPVR 3.7.7 up and I saw - fixes for minor compatibility issues with iOS 10, so I am assuming the older iOS is not the issue but rather the device?
    I'm not sure I can test iOS 10 any more. When things settle down, and I've got a bit more time available, I'll check.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Yes, that's correct.

I talked through with people at the time to determine what the swipe directions should represent. Picture it this way, when your swipe R->L, you're reaching forward along the timeline, putting your finger down (grabbing the timeline), and pulling yourself towards that time. So the act of putting your finger down to the right side of the screen is further into the future on the timeline, and putting your finger down on the left side is in the past on the timeline, then the swipe is pulling the playback position towards that point.

ie, it's same as the standard trackpad behaviour on a MacBook, or swiping on a long web page using a browser (if you imagine it rotated).
    OK got it; as long as the fambly know it's intended, all good. ta.
    ASUS STRIX X470-F AMD 2700x 4GHz | Win10Prox64 | 32GB | NVIDIA GEforce GT1030 Fanless | WinTV DMB-TH | WinTV HVR-1280 | Hauppauge Colossus | Various HD's | AC86U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A110 | RPi2 | Sony Bravia LCD X9000F Android TV |. Frustrated that NextPVR is not working? Take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I'm not sure I can test iOS 10 any more. When things settle down, and I've got a bit more time available, I'll check.
    No biggie, just saw you write something about liking iOS development as they were backward compatible, so it raised a wee flag for me here.

I have an iPad2 (model A1396) and have no problem with the swipe action to skip forward or back, although I too got confused with the direction.
    NPVR App Version 1.7 (build 15) Server V4.2.2
    iOS 9.3.5
    Server: ASRock P67 Pro3 B3, i5 2500K 4.0Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia GT430 HDMI, Win 10 Pro 64bit.
    Hauppage Win-TV 2210 Dual DVB-T & analogue, Win-TV Quad HD, Win-TV Nova-T USB.
    Client: Intel NUC i3 Broadwell, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD, Win 10 Pro 64bit.

iPad Model A1458, still doesn't work for me (just tried again). It says it is "4th Gen", not iPad2, my mistake.
    A1458 is what it says on the back; post above is from the internals.