Thread: Stuff happens ... Backup!

Stuff happens ... Backup!

I read an interesting thing today from a few days ago https://emby.media/community/index.p...vailable-soon/ Basically Emby users were losing their entire media collection and naturally are none to pleased.

I am just pointing this post out because bugs big and small are going to happen so if any file is important to you you need to back it up.

Martin

I'm sure that I remember reading a few months ago about another piece of software that was arbitrarily deleting people's files ... I wish I could remember what the software was called!

Edit: I think the software was called Win...something
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I'm sure that I remember reading a few months ago about another piece of software that was arbitrarily deleting people's files ... I wish I could remember what the software was called!

Edit: I think the software was called Win...something
    I sorta recall that as well. Some Microsquish Big 10 thing that would delete all user files during an upgrade.
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, Nvidia GT710, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 4.2.4
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

software defects are just one example of how you can loose critical file but HD/SSD failure is another significant risk. If you can't afford to loose your data, it must be backed up. you can backup to an external HD but what happens if you get burgled and they take your PC AND your external HDs? What about if your house burns down? You might not be so bothered about loosing your TV recording in such an event but what about your entire music collection or all of your family photos? You need to have an off-site/cloud-based backup as well as local backups. I have my 800GB of music and 80GB of photos backed up both locally and also to the cloud (Acronis in my case).
    “If this is the way Queen Victoria treats her prisoners, she doesn't deserve to have any.”