Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NextPVR can't write to D: drive

Question NextPVR can't write to D: drive

Okay, so this is odd. I am trying out NextPVR on a Windows 7 machine that I have used for Windows Media Center for years. If I leave the LiveTV buffer at C:/Users/Public/Videos, Live TV plays back fine. But if I change it to D:/NPVR/Buffer, TV does not play back, and I'm not seeing any files get created in that directory. I have a similar problem with recording (which is set to D:/NPVR/Recordings) where it LOOKS like it's recording but at the end nothing appears in the Recordings section and no file is created, so I think for some reason NPVR just can't write to the drive, which baffles me.

Is there anything special I need to do to get NPVR access to the D: drive on this machine? (My other NPVR machine is on Windows 10 and all of this works fine, but for now I prefer to keep this machine on 7.)

Thanks for any help!

-- Chris

Reproduce the problem, then zip and attach the logs and I'll take a look.

First I will ask the obvious question, have you created all the folder D:\NPVR\Buffer and D:\NPVR\Recordings? Also is this a physical NTFS drive or a USB or network drive?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Reproduce the problem, then zip and attach the logs and I'll take a look.
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    First I will ask the obvious question, have you created all the folder D:\NPVR\Buffer and D:\NPVR\Recordings? Also is this a physical NTFS drive or a USB or network drive?

Martin
    Fair questions: yes, I have, and this is a physical 1TB NTFS drive.

Quote Originally Posted by clemon79 View Post
    Here you go.
    Did you reproduce the problem prior to posting the logs? I can't see any obvious errors, or signs of it trying to access D:\.

Can you try doing a recording on the d: drive, then zip and attach the logs again?

Ultimately from description, it sounds like a permission error.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Ultimately from description, it sounds like a permission error.
    Agreed, but I don't know why. Attached are a screenshot of the drive permissions (everything is set to Full Control for everyone), and then I tried recording the last few minutes of something off of the Guide, but the tuner didn't even turn on. So I go over to Recordings, and I see the recording is listed as having failed (attached as Denied.jpg). Finally, the logs of the whole thing are attached.

I suspect if we figure this out we will figure out the Live TV problem as well as it definitely has to do with not being able to write the buffer to the drive.

Here's a thought though: this is my Windows Media Center machine, and it does record to the same drive (but a different directory). Is it possible that WMC is taking total control of that drive and not letting anything else have sustained access? If so, do you know how I might temporarily turn off WMC (I don't want to risk losing settings or anything) so I can test that?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Attached Files Attached Files

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\NPVR\Recordings\MSNBC Live With Craig Melvin\' is denied.
    The message coming back from Windows is clear - the permissions on this directory are currently disallowing access.

The recording service doesn't run as your account - it runs as the 'localsystem' account, which I'm guessing doesn't have access to this directory.

By that you mean the NPVR recording service I assume. And I further assume that handles the LiveTV buffer as well?

How do we get it access? All four of the groups in the screenshot above are indeed set to Full Control.

Quote Originally Posted by clemon79 View Post
    By that you mean the NPVR recording service I assume. And I further assume that handles the LiveTV buffer as well?
    Yes

How do we get it access? All four of the groups in the screenshot above are indeed set to Full Control.
    Normally a user wouldn't have do anything special - you must have been explicitly changed some settings somewhere in that directory tree that is disallowing access. ie, might be on "D:", might be on "D:\NPVR", or maybe "D:\NPVR\Recordings" etc.