Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks -- and a few questions

Thanks -- and a few questions

First, thanks for doing this! I look forward to see if it's a better option than TVH or Emby for live tv.

Second, a few questions --
    1. What is the channel tune/change speed for HDHomeRun prime users? I could test this myself but your clients are $7 each and I don't really want to pay that just as a test. Wish there were some trial options available on those.
    2. When does the EPG update? I setup my 6 HDHomeRun prime tuners and mapped my channels but the guide is still empty. I don't see any UI to trigger this. Does it happen automagically?

If you're on the browser interface, there is an update EPG button on the first or second page of Settings (near the bottom left).
    HTPC: Optiplex 7010, HDHR Prime/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 4.0.4, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asus H110M, Pentium G4500, NPVR 3.9.2, Win7 Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by rykr View Post
    1. What is the channel tune/change speed for HDHomeRun prime users? I could test this myself but your clients are $7 each and I don't really want to pay that just as a test. Wish there were some trial options available on those.
    There are free clients, like NextPVR.exe for Windows users, or Kodi, or nlite. It's only my Android / iOS apps on their respective app stores that cost a few dollars to help cover my costs on those platforms. An updated Emby plugin will also be available soon.

How long it takes to change channels will depend on several factors, like tuner and client etc. In NextPVR.exe, it usually takes been 1.5 and 4 seconds to change channels, depending on:
    1) how quick your tuner changes frequencies and starts delivering data
    2) how quickly the next iframe arrives in the transmission
    3) how far the broadcaster has muxed the audio ahead of the video in the stream

NextPVR v5 is brand new, and will continue to be tweaked to improve this, but ultimately there not much you can do about hardware and broadcaster constraints.
    2. When does the EPG update? I setup my 6 HDHomeRun prime tuners and mapped my channels but the guide is still empty. I don't see any UI to trigger this. Does it happen automagically?
    There is no guide data broadcast with an HDHomeRun Prime, so your guide will stay empty until you map your channels to a schedules direct lineup, or xmltv file. You can manually initiate an EPG update on the Settings -> About page.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    There are free clients, like NextPVR.exe for Windows users, or Kodi, or nlite. It's only my Android / iOS apps on their respective app stores that cost a few dollars to help cover my costs on those platforms. An updated Emby plugin will also be available soon.

How long it takes to change channels will depend on several factors, like tuner and client etc. In NextPVR.exe, it usually takes been 1.5 and 4 seconds to change channels, depending on:
    1) how quick your tuner changes frequencies and starts delivering data
    2) how quickly the next iframe arrives in the transmission
    3) how far the broadcaster has muxed the audio ahead of the video in the stream

NextPVR v5 is brand new, and will continue to be tweaked to improve this, but ultimately there not much you can do about hardware and broadcaster constraints.
    There is no guide data broadcast with an HDHomeRun Prime, so your guide will stay empty until you map your channels to a schedules direct lineup, or xmltv file. You can manually initiate an EPG update on the Settings -> About page.
    The kodi plugin doesn't support timeshifting right?

Right, if you are running the current version of pvr.nextpvr it should tell you timeshifting is disabled. Sub has been able to get timeshifting working, but it is another new implementation and it is not complete yet.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by rykr View Post
    The kodi plugin doesn't support timeshifting right?
    To get live tv with timeshift with a NextPVR v5 server you'd need an updated addon. We've had that working, but we're not ready to release that yet. (also need to work how we'll do that given Kodi has now moved on to the v19)

Are there any SSL support plans for v5 please? As accessing the web interface remotely especially over the internet requires a secured connection (tls 1.2 or higher) for the username and password. To encrypt their online transmission is this possible for it to be added?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrymReaper View Post
    Are there any SSL support plans for v5 please? As accessing the web interface remotely especially over the internet requires a secured connection (tls 1.2 or higher) for the username and password. To encrypt their online transmission is this possible for it to be added?
    Ultimately, I can't provide certs, which is where most of the complications come from with ssl, so it's not possible for it to provide ssl. ie, user would need to setup domain names and get their certificates themselves. The username and password are not passed across the internet though - only salted hash values.

The web server we're using in NextPVR v5 (Kestrel) supports directly serving via ssl, but I haven't used it myself, so not too sure on the steps to set it up. Realistically, if you were going to expose it to the internet, you'd probably follow one of the articles on setting up reverse proxy in IIS or Apache or nginx etc, and have that configured for your certs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Ultimately, I can't provide certs, which is where most of the complications come from with ssl, so it's not possible for it to provide ssl. ie, user would need to setup domain names and get their certificates themselves. The username and password are not passed across the internet though - only salted hash values.

The web server we're using in NextPVR v5 (Kestrel) supports directly serving via ssl, but I haven't used it myself, so not too sure on the steps to set it up. Realistically, if you were going to expose it to the internet, you'd probably follow one of the articles on setting up reverse proxy in IIS or Apache or nginx etc, and have that configured for your certs etc.
    I mean are there options present in the web interface to configure the server to be able to use said feature of Kestrel? This includes specifying the paths to the required certification files.

A provider of free SSL certificates which are cross signed and trusted by web browsers (as well as operating systems) is "Let's Encrypt".

By the way passing the username/password details as salted hash values isn't secure enough they need to be peppered too!! This will make cracking the username and password combo much harder, by increasing the computational cost required to do so.
    Last edited by MrGrymReaper; 2019-06-23 at 01:13 AM.

By the way if NextPVR v5 could have the features required in order to configure it to use CloudFlare that would be great! Thus allowing you to be able to have DDOS protection on your NextPVR installation.