Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using dshow or ffmpeg as an input to NPVR?

Using dshow or ffmpeg as an input to NPVR?

Hi,

I've been scratching around trying to find an answer to this, but with no luck. Basically I have got a capture card to play a device connected to it with VLC by using the following dshow commands:

vlc dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Video (00 Pro Capture HDMI 4K+)" :dshow-adev="Audio (00 Pro Capture HDMI 4K+)" :dshow-aspect-ratio=16\:9 :dshow-chroma=RV32 :dshow-vcodec=libx265 :dshow-fps=60 :dshow-acodec=mp4a :dshow-ab=96 :dshow-channels=2 :dshow-samplerate=48000 :no-dshow-config :no-dshow-tuner :live-caching=100 --sout-keep

...using either dshow or ffmpeg, can I do the same with NPVR? I know you can with TVHeadEnd, but I'm finding Ubuntu in a virtual machine so unreliable, I'd rather do it all via NPVR if possible.

Thanks

This is a analog device, in the sense the video arrives as raw frames, and needs to be encoded/muxed using software. Unfortunately NextPVR doesn't contain the components required to do this encoding and muxing for you, so this device isn't support natively.

The other HDMI capture devices that NextPVR does support natively, encode the video to H.264/AAC/AC3 in hardware, then deliver the content as a transport stream (much like you get from digital TV broadcasts).

You could possibly have ffmpeg or vlc do this encoding, like you're doing above, to produce a transport stream, sending it to udp, and configure NextPVR to use IPTV to access the channel via udp.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    This is a analog device, in the sense the video arrives as raw frames, and needs to be encoded/muxed using software. Unfortunately NextPVR doesn't contain the components required to do this encoding and muxing for you, so this device isn't support natively.

The other HDMI capture devices that NextPVR does support natively, encode the video to H.264/AAC/AC3 in hardware, then deliver the content as a transport stream (much like you get from digital TV broadcasts).

You could possibly have ffmpeg or vlc do this encoding, like you're doing above, to produce a transport stream, sending it to udp, and configure NextPVR to use IPTV to access the channel via udp.
    Hi, thanks for replying...just so I am clear then:

1) Redirect my current dshow command to an ip address/port of some sort.
    2) Point NPVR to that as an IPTV server.

Is that correct? Also, can NPVR support multiple IPTV sources simultaneously?

With v4 I suggest the network recorder add with sgraphrecorder might be easier.

Still hoping for v4l2 support in future Linux builds to help with a variety of devices

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg371 View Post
    Hi, thanks for replying...just so I am clear then:

1) Redirect my current dshow command to an ip address/port of some sort.
    2) Point NPVR to that as an IPTV server.

Is that correct?
    Yes, that is what I was suggesting.

Also, can NPVR support multiple IPTV sources simultaneously?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    Still hoping for v4l2 support in future Linux builds to help with a variety of devices
    I am intending to add support for this. Just got a few other things to get done before then.

I am intending to add support for this. Just got a few other things to get done before then.
    Sorry I wan't meaning to sound like I was pushing you. Today I was watching FIFA Women's final from my N2 and on one monitor I had HDPVR output via v4l2 and another 1080i ATSC served by NextPVR and the v4l2 was using around 1-2% CPU

Unfortunately I can't get UDP output to remux in realtime for the HDPVR.

Martin

Yes, that is what I was suggesting.

Yes.
    I've almost got my VLC server up and running now...does NPVR need a UDP server/stream, or can it accept rtsp, http etc?

It'll probably have to be udp.

NextPVR could also do http, but ffmpeg would need to accept incoming requests, and I'm not sure they support that.

How would you control a blaster with IPTV?

Martin