Thread: AppImage for Linux distributions

AppImage for Linux distributions

Are their any plans to offer an AppImage? An AppImage can be used across all Linux distributions with a few steps. It is portable and does not require installing. A comparison with other portable Linux formats is listed below.

https://github.com/AppImage/AppImage...cts#comparison

I've written a deb installer that works on amd64, arm, and arm64 that I've tested with Ubuntu, Debian and Armbian and should work with Mint and other debian based installers. It can download the requirements including NextPVR and dotnet on arm64 and installs everything and creates a typical systemd service. I would have released it a week ago for wider but there were some issues with libssl1.1 installed in Disco Dingo and Buster that will likely need sub to update the zips

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I've written a deb installer that works on amd64, arm, and arm64 that I've tested with Ubuntu, Debian and Armbian and should work with Mint and other debian based installers. It can download the requirements including NextPVR and dotnet on arm64 and installs everything and creates a typical systemd service. I would have released it a week ago for wider but there were some issues with libssl1.1 installed in Disco Dingo and Buster that will likely need sub to update the zips

Martin
    Name:  SMirC-thumbsup.svg.png
Views: 60
Size:  75.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by koijh65 View Post
    Are their any plans to offer an AppImage? An AppImage can be used across all Linux distributions with a few steps. It is portable and does not require installing. A comparison with other portable Linux formats is listed below.

https://github.com/AppImage/AppImage...cts#comparison
    I've been looking into AppImage, and I like the idea of providing the app this way, but it'll have to wait until a little later - I've had too much new technology going on in this switch to multi-platform, and the brain doesn't want to add more into the mix.

As mentioned above, Martin's deb installer should help the situation for a lot of people.