Thread: Channel Titles change, recurring recordings cannot be pointed to new title.

Channel Titles change, recurring recordings cannot be pointed to new title.

I have OTA, recently (August 1), a bunch of channels changed, CW and WIVB (same parent company), along with a few others.

4.1 went from WIVB-DT to WIVB-HD (so nothing finds the WIVB-DT channel so it shows up in the Recurring as 0 - WIVB-DT).
    4.2 went to Court TV (from LAFF), again, same thing there.
    23.1 went from WNLO-DT to WNLO-HD (same as 4.1)
    23.2 same deal there.
    29.1 went from WUTV-HD to FOX, there are other channels.

The Recurring can be deleted! Updating does nothing, cannot alter channel. Perhaps determine "bad" programs in recurring and offer us the choice to change the channel? I really don't want to delete 20+ recurrings just to wait for them to come around in a few months to re-add them again, that is unhelpful.

Is there at least a way to manually edit an XML file to put the proper call signs for the channels back in so they'll re-sync, I do see Recurring-Backup.xml, but am unsure how to actually properly affect it while it is running, presume stop the service and edit that, then restart it or is there a registry location to fix it there with?

Could we possibly just get the ability to change channels in an existing Recurring, perhaps when we change the channel, it deletes the existing entry and just "adds" it as a new one?

GuruSR.

If they were just renaming the channel, you could have just left them alone, and they'll continuing record. The channel name isn't used by the application - it's just something it shows you. You can rename the channels to whatever your want (including the new names if you want) on the Setting->Channel page, by double clicking a channel (which will show the channel details) and entering a new name.

The down side with renaming them is every time a channel tells us that we have to rescan, we have to repeat that process for all of them that changed, it seems to leave multiples of the changed channels, the old dead one and the new one right next to each other with the same channel #'s. So I end up deleting the entire channel list before a new scan to avoid it.

So what exactly is being used by the recurring to record upcoming shows?

GuruSR.

It depends what they're doing:

1) If they're just renaming the channel, you don't need to do anything. You can continue to know it as the old channel name if you want, or you can go into the properties and rename the channel as described above. Renaming a channel is very simple 2 second change.

2) If they're moving it to some other frequency, and changing the name, your best bet is to delete the channel, and rescan. NextPVR will have no way to know it's the same channel as you previously had recordings on though, so you'd probably have to delete any recurring recordings for that channel and recreate them. In NextPVR v5 I'll try to add something to change the channel associated with a recurring recording.