Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NextPVR, Hauppauge Colossus and issues changing between PCM and AC3 audio streams

NextPVR, Hauppauge Colossus and issues changing between PCM and AC3 audio streams

Hello, pretty new user here.
    Have had some issues getting NextPVR working with my STB and Hauppauge Colossus card.

The issues are not yet resolved, so am just about to give up.

Basically what is occurring, is that most of the time, when I change channels from one containing DD (AC3) to a channel with PCM audio (stereo), I lose audio.
    Similarly, the same happens when I change channel from one containing PCM to one containing DD, the audio disappears.

It was suggested to me, that the Colossus card needs some time to stabilize after changing channels, and that I should try a batch script, to delay the tuning to a different channel.

Well, have performed quite a bit of testing, and regardless of what delay I use (1-30 seconds) , it actually makes no difference whatsoever, as to whether the audio is present or not.

What happens is that NPVR will pop up an error message saying that there is no AAC codec present, when changing from a channel with DD, to one with PCM.
    Similarly, NPVR pops up a message saying there is no AC3 codec present, when changing from a channel with PCM, to one with AC3 audio stream.

I tried configuring all the AC3 channels to use SPDIF, and all the PCM channels to use RCA audio input.
    Same issue occurs, and audio disappears.

I tried installing another Hauppauge Colossus2 card, and setup all the AC3 channels on the Colossus card, and all the PCM channels on the Colossus2 card.
    Same issue occurs, and audio disappears.

I tried changing to every audio codec known to man (grin) (this man anyways), and all different audio renderers.
    Same issue occurs, and the audio disappears.

It works a lot better when using Kodi as client, but when using NextPVR as local player, it loses audio every single time I change between channels with different audio streams.

The weird thing is, if I use Mediaportal TVserver and it's local client MediaPortal, channel changes work perfectly when switching channels with DD and PCM audio.
    Same Colossus driver, same codecs (LAV).

Have attached logs in hope that something can be discovered.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your best bet is to set the STB to always output the same audio format. The change in audio format causes the Colossus 2 to reset the stream clock, which stuffs things up. (changing audio decoders/renderers etc wont make any difference to this)

MediaPortal is likely having no issue because it's stopping and restarting the device each time you change channels. NextPVR leaves it running, so you can have quicker channel changes etc (which generally works well, but not when the Colossus 2 changes audio input formats). I'll look into adding a setting to allow you to tell NextPVR to stop and restart the device on every channel change so you can get the same behavior as MediaPortal.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why Mediaportal could do the channel change successfully.

If you do add such an option, would be more than happy to test for you.
    I thought a Restart option was already in the device setup properties.? (have it selected, tho have tested with it off too, and no difference)
    I take it that option is something else.

My STB always is set to output AC3 and I still have this issue (it can actually crash things in v5 on linux). My only resolution was to add a long wait of 4 bseconds after my channel change runs.

Martin

Update:

Not sure if the audio stream changing issue is specific to the Hauppauge Colossus card and STB.

The reason being, is that I get the same codec errors when changing channels between DVB-T channels.
    eg. When changing from a DVB-T channel with PCM audio, to another channel with AC3 audio, the same issue occurs, and Nextpvr throw up an error saying I have no AC3 decoder installed.
    Similarly, when changing DBV-T channels from one with AC3 to a channel with PCM audio, Nextpvr throws up an error saying that there is no AAC codec installed.

It would appear that is not stopping and restarting the tuner, that is the issue . The issue is affecting 'all' tuners, not just HDPVR style capture cards.
    (at least for me)
    Last edited by three6zerocool; 2019-08-23 at 11:19 AM.

Here are the logs from current NextPVR session, that show channel changes with different audio types using Colossus card and STB, and also channel changes between DVB-T channels with differing audio streams.
    The same errors get thrown up concerning missing AC3 and AAC codecs.

I am using LAV codecs, tho have tried Microsoft with no difference.

It does not happen all the time... just most of the time.
    Don't know if it is just me, but have reinstalled NextPVR, re-imaged my entire system from clean install, and then reinstalled the applications. No difference, still get the codec errors.

When I get the codec error. I stop the stream, then select the channel again, and get audio back. It only does it when I change between channels that have different audio like PCM and AC3.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've had this problem for several years on both the original HD-PVR and the HD-PVR-2. The only solution is what mvallevand posted--you need to include a long wait of at least 4 seconds after channel change. Otherwise, the audio stream changes while NextPVR starts the recording and everything gets messed up.

Like I said during this thread, I have been using a delay via batch script, but it made no difference to preserving the audio thru channel changes.
    Have tested delays up to 30 seconds.

I think the issue I am experiencing may have nothing to do with the Hauppauge Colossus card, as I am experiencing the same loss of audio when changing channels on DVB-T channels also.
    I don't know what is going on, but it makes the software pretty unusable until I figure out what is occurring. I am hoping my logs in this thread might give some clue.

Quote Originally Posted by three6zerocool View Post
    I think the issue I am experiencing may have nothing to do with the Hauppauge Colossus card, as I am experiencing the same loss of audio when changing channels on DVB-T channels also.
    I don't know what is going on, but it makes the software pretty unusable until I figure out what is occurring. I am hoping my logs in this thread might give some clue.
    Does ticking the 'use legacy NPVR TS Reader and Microsoft Demux' make any difference to this problem?

Sorry for late reply.(been away)

Yes, I believe using legacy NPVR Reader and MS Demux does make a difference. However, with that option enabled, it makes navigation of recordings just about unusable. (very slow and awful scubbing thru recorded files)

I also seem to get a lot of pixelization and digital artifacts on some DVB-T channels. Could be reception issues?.as weather aint the best currently, but same channels on my TV's tuner look OK.

Will test a bit and report back.