Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: P2P show recording

Quote Originally Posted by reboot
    I currently have 3 x 250gig drives for storage and serving (over the LAN), and my OS resides on a 160, partitioned for OS and backups.
    All the kids stuff is transcoded to avi, as they only watch on their computer monitor, thus served over the LAN. The wife and I share the PVR. I do all the work, she does all the watching
    BTW, My wife's and my kid's computers also have capture cards, and their own gbpvr setups, so they can record and watch whatever I don't get.
    In total, 5 computers, 7 capture cards, roughly 3TB of storage.
    One day, I just may get an MVP to play with...
    WOW, I am impressed! If you have all of that, you have to get a MVP! It can replace an entire computer. (well for PVR use anyway) And the picture is great.
    3x MVPs (not used anymore)
    XBMC
    Hauppauge 150 via SVideo
    Comcast Digital Cable
    Motorola HD Cable box channel changed via Firewire
    Vista Home Premium with RDP hack
    AMD Athalon 64 5000+
    340gig sata, plus 80SATA+3x160IDE Drives in XP machine for storage.

Wow.... Ok new suggestion. Reboot just shares all of the files and we download them. Problem solved.
    WinXP Home
    3 X MVPs
    Hauppauge 250 MCE
    Hauppauge 150
    P-4 2.4 GHz / 768 megs Ram
    610 Gigs Of Media Storage

And there goes my bill for bandwidth abuse!
    You can never have enough tuners!
    Pentium Quad / 4Gb Dual Channel RAM / XPSP3 / 2 x PVR-500, PVR-250 / GB-PVR

You pay for bandwidth use? I've got flatrate adsl, 10Mbit down, 1 Mbit up, no bandwidth limit.
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

Sorry... I read "use", not "abuse"... :-)
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

I don't have any download limits, but if my upload goes beyond a certain number of megabytes, they assume I'm running an server, which is contrary to my TOS, and I get nasty emails asking me to correct the "problem".

Now that I've had a chance to play with grouper, I understand a little more of how it works. The biggest potential pitfall is that a person has to go and share a file (meaning manual process). It would be nice to have a way to make a request, then have it show up. The other major downfall is the upstream bandwith limit (which is not necessarily a problem with this software). I'd think a queueing system (like IRC DCC transfers) would be a better way to approach it.

I'm not sure it would be a good "plugin" fit to GBPVR, but I'd still like to play around a little with the software. I've now made a public grouper group for wider use testing. I've called it BetaFPVRS (Beta For PVR Software) and I'll only allow you to join if you answer the question correctly - believe me, you'll know the answer. The group is located in the Technology section, subsection "Techy Gadgets", or you can just search by name.

The group is located in the Technology section, subsection "Techy Gadgets"
    ...Technology section of what, where?

The public grouper groups. I think you have to install the grouper client first.

There doesn't seem to be any further interest in grouper so I have shut down this test.