NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New 'edit' Categories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
McBainUK Wrote:Not if they plugin types are made as sub menus. Example

Click on plugins and you get:
Plugins
.Video
.Music
.Web
.System
.etc

Then click on music and you get
Plugins
.Video
.Music
..ML3
..Music
..etc
.Web
.System
.etc

Is this kind of layout possible using the wiki software?

I have noticed that the wiki seems to slow down when there are category list building or whatever that is... An example would be clicking on Utilities on the side bar. It seems that the wiki does more stuff as it builds the list of Utilities for the side bar.

I actually would be hay to get rid of the lists altogether, but I'll leave that to you guys

I also notice that the sidebar looks much different between IE and Firefox. I find Firefox to be better and only use it to make sure my wiki pages are looking good. But we need to consider IE
zehd Wrote:Well I'm going to allow myself to break that rule a bit. I think it's important to change actual page names so that they are displayed in the correct order when we use auto lists, like categories...

I understand how content can lay around a hard drive, so I will be careful and sparingly.

At a certain point you may want to, ( or let me at it) to actually clean the hard drive... It would make for smaller back up files...

What's the obsession about page names? I'd still say that the page title is the stuff that should be showed if the page name is inadequate, and those can be change indefinitely.

Well it's your choice, don't forget to clean up dead links as well ;-)

Regarding page clean-up, I think PM-wiki still doesn't allow it per default so you need to get raw file access to the server (from sub)

zehd Wrote:I have noticed that the wiki seems to slow down when there are category list building or whatever that is... An example would be clicking on Utilities on the side bar. It seems that the wiki does more stuff as it builds the list of Utilities for the side bar.

I actually would be hay to get rid of the lists altogether, but I'll leave that to you guys

I also notice that the sidebar looks much different between IE and Firefox. I find Firefox to be better and only use it to make sure my wiki pages are looking good. But we need to consider IE

The list building includes searching IIRC, so that's why it takes time. Here is a trade-off to be done on maintaining (put time into building lists manually or let them build automatically, but sit and wait for it to happen). Something in between would have been great, static lists built automatically when a page changes...

The difference in IE vs FF is the usual css difference in the skin and I have given up on that a long time ago ;-) (actually I don't see any major differences myself)
zehd Wrote:At 8:30 am MST -7 GMT, the wiki was deadly slow.

I wondered if it was maintenance, too many cooks, or too many customers...

My net was fine for a million other sites including this forum

bump
I created a Plugins-test menu- on the sidebar to demo my original idea. The expanding menu can be dropped, but this shows how it could be done. The list of plugins is not dynamic.
Fatman_do Wrote:I created a Plugins-test menu- on the sidebar to demo my original idea. The expanding menu can be dropped, but this shows how it could be done. The list of plugins is not dynamic.

Well I'll leave it with you (plural)

I think what blader mentioned was a good point, slowish auto lists, or quick static lists. Trade off is, that most of the time we aren't all that up on working on the wiki...

So I would be leaning toward no list of plugins/skins/utilities in the side bar at all...

I know you were just testing, and needs to be ironed out, but it seemed as slower or more than the other way.

I'm sure we're all on the same page, trying to make the wiki quick, easy and new user attainable. So I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash...
Just wondered if we're ok with this 'donate' plug at the bottom of the Quick Start

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quick...tart#toc23

sub?
zehd Wrote:I know you were just testing, and needs to be ironed out, but it seemed as slower or more than the other way.

What I didn't do was disable the original menu from expanding when viewing anything in the plugin group, so this was "in addition" to it.

So this will be the next plan of attack:
  • Categorize all plugins and place them in the lists in the test menu.
  • Remove original plugin menu.
  • Test performance.
  • If performance is still an issue, remove plugins from list and have on category page only.
  • Test performance.
I think the lack of speed on the plugin main page is all the dynamic lists. I am going to chop that down dramatically. Going right to the sub-groups didn't seem to be that slow really.
zehd Wrote:Just wondered if we're ok with this 'donate' plug at the bottom of the Quick Start

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quick...tart#toc23

sub?

Actually I would "hit them between the eyes" and place it on the main page. I would guess most new users look at the quick start once or twice and then done...
I believe the plugin main page now has a performance improvement by removing the dynamic lists and making them links to other pages. Hopefully this made that page less overwhelming.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11