NextPVR Forums

Full Version: McBainUK's first NPVR plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
imilne Wrote:It was easy enough to work around though. Just call a batch file that included the "taskkill" command to close GB-PVR. Then run whatever you need, then have the final step of the batch file reopen GB-PVR. I can post examples if you'd like.
I did actually do exactly that to call Hulu Desktop from the GB-PVR menu. However that method wouldn't really work with McBain's Programs plugin, so my point stands that I didn't use it before because I had to use VMR9 FSE, but would like to use it now that I've moved on the NPVR with EVR, and in fact now have no way at all to launch external apps. Well, that isn't entirely true either, since I have been planning to have EventGhost call Hulu Desktop when I press a particular button on the remote. However I'd rather have a menu entry for it.

further comment: that all being said, if sub adds External Task support any time soon that will be enough to satisfy my immediate needs so maybe Programs doesn't merit first attention from McBainUK... many of his other plugins do things sub certainly isn't going to add to NPVR at all. I thought ICL was really neat, but rarely actually used it; now I have Flixster on my Palm Pre+ which is even more convenient.
gEd Wrote:It's a tough call as you have created so many excellent quality plugins.

I agree, and I think you shouldn't be surprised if we ask you to port them all to NPVR!

ICL is my favorite, as it provided the greatest "Wow" factor to family and visitors. But that skin plugin was so sweet...

I voted for both.

tobor
bump
Mhm, what should be the first one...

• Cinema Listings 1/5
This is a very interesting plugin, but it never worked really good for me at my country. And the last time i went to a cinema, i was a 13 years old child (it's 18 years ago), so i would give it a low priority.

• Web Cams 3/5
I like this plugin very much. It's a very nice replacement for a screensaver. Yes, i wish to have this plugin.

• Community Skin / SkinPlugin 3/5
A wunderful thing, i would say one of the best plugins for gb-pvr. There was a lot of interesting skins. But i also saw, that i not often changed my skins. I choosed one really good skin and stayed for it till the end (widescreen glow). So there's for me not a high priority for this plugin.

• RSS Reader 4/5
Yes, for this one i had a really usage. I want to have this one.

• Music Spot 1/5
I don't even know, what this is... ^^;

• Mixer 1/5
Same as Music Spot... never heard before.

• Torrents 0/5
No, absolutely no need for something like this.

• Programs 4/5
Yes, there is indeed a high usability for this plugin.

Mhm... what could i need for nPVR:

• FM Radio 5/5 (it's an absolutely must have for me!)
• E-Mail viewing (IMAP were enough)
• Something like CallerID, but this time working for FRITZ!Card ISDN please. *buck*
• A phoning application perhaps... using ISDN/Analog Modems or VoIP with BT Headsets like Plantronics Explorer 260.
• For nPVR Server/Client (at a later time) an info window with connection informations of the clients (connected yes/no, transferrate etc.)

A good TV Listing will be for sure come from alibert, while gamezone (i hope so!) will be developed and transferred to nPVR.

Perhaps a nice thing were the ability to connect information of local saved dvds and movies with the DVD Profile database from invelos. But i don't believe, that this will be happening... (even it would be great for me -> 577 movies/1200 dvds) XD

Thank you for reading this one. Smile
Yes, I use the cinema listings alot. It is indeed a wow factor for guests and family and was my vote. But reading SD's post above I am thinking a caller ID type plugin would be cool as well. All my tivo friends love it on theirs and I think there used to be one for gbpvr but it was not kept up to date as sub released updates.

Whatever you do first I'm sure it will be great.
A nice weather plugin were fine too. Something like this: http://gallery.live.com/LiveItemDetail.a...b34f4f2a40
ShiningDragon Wrote:...while gamezone (i hope so!) will be developed and transferred to nPVR.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that, nice though it would be. idkpmiller made a few posts indicating he wasn't planning to do too much more with GameZone. Then when McBainUK launched his Programs plugin, which could be made to do much of what GameZone did, idkpmiller seemed content to pass the torch. I'm just paraphrasing what I recall reading at the time.

Maybe the killer plugin would be created if McBainUK were to get his hands on idkpmiller's code and build the slicker elements of it into Programs.

follow-up edit: when McBain released Programs, quoth idkpmiller:
idkpmiller Wrote:McBainUK it looks great from the snapshots. I have been looking for a reason to pull the plug on GameZone and I think the time has now come for it to retire to make room for the younger plugin on the block.

McBainUK the more I ponder the question of which of your plugins I'd like to see first on NPVR, I come back to Programs time and time again.

One request: would you be able to code it so that certain program entries could be placed directly on the main menu? For example, I'd like a main menu item to launch Hulu Desktop.
McBainUK, I don't your priorities are but I could probably approximate an NPVR version of the GBPVR Custom task as a plugin in an evening. A special instance could even sit on the main menu.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:McBainUK, I don't your priorities are but I could probably approximate an NPVR version of the GBPVR Custom task as a plugin in an evening. A special instance could even sit on the main menu.

Yeah, writing something like that probably wouldn't take too long. The advantage to sub's implementation of it though was that you could include multiple entries in different places (eg, I had a "Play Blu-ray" main menu task and a couple of other utility-type launchers kept elsewhere in a submenu). I don't know if we'd be able to do that using the plugin architecture?

Iain
I've a solution in my head for implementing Custom Tasks from a plugin but wanted to check with sub to see if Custom Tasks will be added to the main app soon (don't want to waste my time). So, sub? Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4