NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Samsung Tizen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone have any experience of Tizen equipped Samsung smart TV's? Is it likely that this app can be used or ported? I have the developer platform installed and don't mind helping out with it if the consensus is that I wont just be wasting time. There appear to be some conversion guides to follow.
trummel Wrote:Does anyone have any experience of Tizen equipped Samsung smart TV's? Is it likely that this app can be used or ported? I have the developer platform installed and don't mind helping out with it if the consensus is that I wont just be wasting time. There appear to be some conversion guides to follow.

Hi trummel,
Since Tizen supports html5 web apps the port most likely will be quite simple.
It should be a matter of adding a device specific file containing the remote control code mappings and interfacing the media player.
Also the super thin “launcher app” will have to be ported.

I’m happy to help out with any source code or info you might need.
That goes for anyone else interested in putting in some work to port this app to their favorite Smart TV platform.

The criteria needed for a successful port are these:
  • Supports apps based on html5 and JavaScript (most modern Smart TVs do)
  • Has a decent media player controllable through JavaScript that supports .ts files and http streaming.
  • SDK available (with the ability to test on actual device will simplify things a lot)
  • Most remote control buttons available to the app (not crucial but it will give a better user experience)

/Fred
Thanks Fred.
I've just been offered a really good deal on a new tizen samsung. I will get it here and the have a play around with the sdk.
I now have a version of the Smart TV client for Samsung Tizen (2015) generation TV's. Its alpha (ie flaky and incomplete) but it works on my TV. If anyone wants to give it a try, pm me and I will send you a copy and some test install instructions. You will of course need a 2015 Samsung TV!

Fred250. FYI, as you suggested, its a full copy of your Samsung web app, amended for Tizen and then all built into a tv local widget. Its biggest drawbacks are the requirement to convert the TS files to MP4 before they will play properly and no support for comskip (I dont use that, so its down the to do list). The up side is that it seems to work pretty well for all UK recordings, HD and SD, plays my videos, music and pictures. Plus the interface is the same as on my older TV's but with added pointer support, so the family are happy.
trummel Wrote:I now have a version of the Smart TV client for Samsung Tizen (2015) generation TV's. Its alpha (ie flaky and incomplete) but it works on my TV. If anyone wants to give it a try, pm me and I will send you a copy and some test install instructions. You will of course need a 2015 Samsung TV!

Fred250. FYI, as you suggested, its a full copy of your Samsung web app, amended for Tizen and then all built into a tv local widget. Its biggest drawbacks are the requirement to convert the TS files to MP4 before they will play properly and no support for comskip (I dont use that, so its down the to do list). The up side is that it seems to work pretty well for all UK recordings, HD and SD, plays my videos, music and pictures. Plus the interface is the same as on my older TV's but with added pointer support, so the family are happy.

Great work!

Have you tried remuxing to .mkv? It my help in getting comskip working.

/Fred
trummel Wrote:I now have a version of the Smart TV client for Samsung Tizen (2015) generation TV's. Its alpha (ie flaky and incomplete) but it works on my TV. If anyone wants to give it a try, pm me and I will send you a copy and some test install instructions. You will of course need a 2015 Samsung TV!

PM sent, would love to try the Tizen App.

\\Agerdin
Unfortunately, the nice people at Samsung decided that they would no longer support usb side loading of apps. That means that unless you fancy installing the entire development platform on a dedicated server, then the Tizen app is dead in the water. :-s
trummel Wrote:Unfortunately, the nice people at Samsung decided that they would no longer support usb side loading of apps. That means that unless you fancy installing the entire development platform on a dedicated server, then the Tizen app is dead in the water. :-s

Bummer, what is required to make an official app then?

Thanks,

\\Anders
Development, testing and then submission to Samsung for approval. I cant really get past the first stage of that and the approval process is tricky to say the least. I and lots of others have asked for the USB load to be reinstated, but that looks unlikely. Without that, its a non starter for me I'm afraid.
Tried sending a PM to Trummel, but I think as a new user I'm not able to.

I did just download the Development Platform on my server, so if I could get a copy of the developed Tizen app so far and give it a shot, that would be wonderful.
Pages: 1 2