NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Client freezes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently using 3.9 version for my client and in all respects but one it works perfectly. But, it occasionally just 'freezes' to the extent I have to close the program and restart it. Usually it will allow me to 'resume' what I was watching, but not always. I don't imagine logs will be of any use since I have to restart every time it does this. I get a Windows onscreen message indicating NPVR is failing to respond, do I want to close. Any idea what could cause this or is this just something I'm going to have to live with?

This happens using all the mpeg2 codecs available so I doubt they are the problem.
First make sure your client is running the same version as the server. Also the NextPVR client is terrible at handling network socket errors so make sure you have a stable wired connection.

Martin
Updated the client to same release as the server and reset sockets on both machines. It's better but still 'freezing' occasionally. Thanks for your help, Martin.
Any specific activity at the time, like you're skipping or paused, or just while you're sitting watching playback normally?
Skipping is fine as is ComSkip. It will freeze while just watching normally. I do note this usually occurs on a program that's lengthy...two hours or more.
Try creating a c:\temp\ and setting this registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\NPVR\LogClientStream=1 (DWORD)

This try to leave a recording playing, and hopefully we'll catch a freeze while just watching normally, then zip and post the c:\temp\client.txt

This will create a big log file, so definitely remember to remove this registry setting later!
I hardly ever work in the registry. I'm not getting a file called client.txt in c:\temp. I made the entry you said although the only thing in the data section is 0s. Should a path be there and if so, how do I do that?
Can you post a screenshot of the registry setting you created, so I can make sure it's correct?

The value is supposed to be called "LogClientStream", of type DWORD, with a value of 1.
I can't easily copy from the client but the entry reads: LogClientStream REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1). That created a stream.log file in c:\temp which I've attached. I don't see anything happening in the file when the video "froze", it just stops. Skipping is a little more problamatical in this first 4. version than it was in 3.9 and ComSkip now hangs occasionally.

I guess I can't post the file as it exceeds size limit. I'll try splitting.
Yeah, nothing super obvious in there.

Can you try also setting LogDemux=1? This will give a demux.txt file.