NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PlutoTV Extra Commerical Exit freezing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I installed and got Plutotv working however I am running into an issue of the stream freezing coming out of a commercial.  I have read most if not all of the forum pages to realize this is most likely a stream link issue.  Has any one found a reliable solution from Streamlink or tips in general?  Is there a better version of streamlink to use than the most recent version? is there a different software solution?

Thanks!
The reliability of PlutoTV streams is better with streamlink then the raw URL m3u files on the Internet but not perfect. Compatibility varies by stream, but in general new streamlink versions are better than old, and as noted in other post, any issues with streamlink should be posted on their GitHub page. If you are using Linux the repo versions are terrible.

For recordings you might be better off post processing them and creating better recording, turning off thumbnail and timing generation.

Logs of course would help too to avoid guessing.

Martin
The problem have been fixed and might be release in the next version of streamlink, but the plugin fix is available.
Great. That was why I choose to go with streamlink and not my own reader.

Martin
(2023-09-13, 09:56 PM)Metroid Wrote: [ -> ]The problem have been fixed and might be release in the next version of streamlink, but the plugin fix is available.

I'm fairly early in my testing with the pluto extra and just installed streamlink so believe i have the latest version but will confirm. 

Where is the plugin fix you mention? 

Does anyone have this working such that you can do all the typical pvr functions (pause, skip forward/back, etc)? 

If so, what are the keys to make it work? 

Windows server/client (nextpvr.exe app). Did install lav filters linked in another plutotv thread.

I can record and watch live until commercial. Often run into video issues & freezes at commercials or pause/skip/back. Most of those freezes do not hang and can be "recovered" with stop/exit video.

Is there somewhere on this site or elsewhere that lists good iptv m3u sources with associated maintained epg? I've looked the iptv. org github but what I've found either requires building your own epg capture or shared epg files for individual or very small numbers of channels.

Thanks much
The plugin I refer to is streamlink so you have to follow them on GitHub and refer any problem URL's there.

The only reliable solution I found is to strip out the PMT and rebuild the mpegts or mp4 file.

Schedules Direct has longer data for some channels. My addon does get the good EPG data every four hours so if you set to update NextPVR on a schedule it will work. I don't think you can get better than four hours since there is no where to scrap.

You correctly pointed out the 3 issues with using PlutoTV and why I basically abandoned the Extra, supporting it isn't worth it. Their app will be the best experience.

There is no such thing as a "good" URL for these since they aren't "bad". They are designed to only be played with the PlutoTV app which will properly show client side inserted commercials. Many iptv-org streams are like that and like the mjh.nz URL's we end up supporting source streams and not the applications.

Martin
(2023-12-16, 02:11 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]The plugin I refer to is streamlink so you have to follow them on GitHub and refer any problem URL's there.

The only reliable solution I found is to strip out the PMT and rebuild the mpegts or mp4 file.

Schedules Direct has longer data for some channels.  My addon does get the good EPG data every four hours so if you set to update NextPVR on a schedule it will work.  I don't think you can get better than four hours since there is no where to scrap.

You correctly pointed out the 3 issues with using PlutoTV and why I basically abandoned the Extra, supporting it isn't worth it.  Their app will be the best experience. 

There is no such thing as a "good" URL for these since they aren't "bad".  They are designed to only be played with the PlutoTV app which will properly show client side inserted commercials.  Many iptv-org streams are like that and like the mjh.nz URL's we end up supporting source streams and not the applications.

Martin

Thanks very much, Martin - 

Yes, unfortunately almost everything i read about plutoTV on any of the pvr type sites makes it sound like one of the most problematic iptv sources and i don't think you are alone in giving it up. I was mostly asking whether any users had found some combination of things that (at least mostly) works. 

For the iptv/epg question, I should have been more clear. I had branched out the topic more broadly to general iptv m3u & associated mlaintained epg on that question. What is being provided on pluto is great if anyone has solved the actual viewing issues.
Streamlink already mostly works for linear viewing, and even on a freeze you can restart and fixing the capture recording is the best solution for recordings. Someone would have to create a better utility that did this on the fly. I figure if you search you would see that isn't the case. I have tried the ChannelsDVR docker and TVHeadend pipe from streamlink.

Perhaps the best choice is the Kodi addon for Pluto TV using inputstream.adaptive which also attempts to address the discontinuities but that is Live only so using the free Pluto TV apps will always give a better experience.

Web broadcasts of FAST services like PlutoTV are all designed to be used with their apps and they all require some sort of EPG scrapping. They will all have their own issues. I found a few FAST services that have longer guide data and I wrote custom EPG srappers. for my own use. The only reason these are free is to view the commercials that are inserted though so don't expect broadcast or cable performance. Same thing applies to pirate IPTV TANSTAAFL.

Martin
Thanks again,

I do have MCEBuddy. So it sounds like it may be worth some testing converting the recordings with that unless someone has already found that to be a dead end.
MCEBuddy is basically a front end to ffmpeg. If you can make it strip out the PMT and remux go for it but use an mp4 file and remove the NextPVR timing file if it is created.

Transcoding might also work, but they are harder to generalize.

Martin
Pages: 1 2