NextPVR Forums

Full Version: apt upgrade broke NPVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I ran apt upgrade and now NPVR is totally trashed. Trying to play a recording gives "failed to start requested stream"  Live TV gives  "Streaming Failed" and the EPG was deleted. Had to do an update. NPVR gave a blank stream, I suspected I might have failed to installed codacs when I reinstalled Mint. So I ran uptate and upgrade, then installed codacs. rebooted. At first the server would not open. I rebooted again and it lodaed, but the EPG was empty. I updated and inserted  huge number of listings but now nothing works.
NextPVR doesn't get updated via apt upgrade and it doesn't use system codecs either. You probably ran out of disk space, but without zipped logs there are no issues.

Martin
(2023-12-29, 09:16 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]NextPVR doesn't get updated via apt upgrade and it doesn't use system codecs either.  You probably ran out of disk space, but without zipped logs there are no issues.

Martin

Nope. I'm using less than 20% of my OS drive and the recordings drive is a 3TB  drive with 3 shows recorded. I can't send logs because I purged and reinstalled.
As you noted in another post (which I responded to earlier today) you actually didn't have much space available and any recordings would filled it. Hopefully you did a better job installing this time.

Martin
I asked you a number of questions in this post which you haven’t answered https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=65302

You may have a 3TB drive but unless Linux (in your case) may not see anything other than the partition that was set aside during installation.

From the command line in Mint enter the following command df -H and report the output back here.

From memory the suggested partition size for a Linux Mint installation is 100GB partition which tied in with what NPVR is reporting. To increase this you’ll need to use a tool like GParted but you need to know what you are doing.

The best time to increase partition size is at installation time. If you want a 2TB partition you need to do it then. You clearly accepted the suggested partition and that’s what you ended up with.

I strongly suggest you read up on Linux and its command line and file structures before proceeding any further.
(2023-12-30, 01:55 AM)satforall Wrote: [ -> ]I asked you a number of questions in this post which you haven’t answered https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=65302

You may have a 3TB drive but unless Linux (in your case) may not see anything other than the partition that was set aside during installation.

From the command line in Mint enter the following command df -H and report the output back here.

From memory the suggested partition size for a Linux Mint installation is 100GB partition which tied in with what NPVR is reporting. To increase this you’ll need to use a tool like GParted but you need to know what you are doing.

The best time to increase partition size is at installation time. If you want a 2TB partition you need to do it then. You clearly accepted the suggested partition and that’s what you ended up with.

I strongly suggest you read up on Linux and its command line and file structures before proceeding any further.
I have been using Linux as my primary OS for around 10 years now. I'm reasonably familiar with it, but certainly don't have the time to be an expert. It was a single 3tb partition. When I accessed that partition from Linux I could see and play the recordings and had nearly the whole 3tb as free space.  It was just NPVR that, for some reason was not able to use the entire partition. It was strictly a shared storage drive. W10 and Linux were on an ssd.  I ended up reinstalling and changing the partition to ext4. Now NPVR ca see the entire partition. I had the windows partition for channel scanning for a HDHR, but for some reason it has extremely poor sensitivity and made poor quality recordings. But I still have the winTV software on it. And I use that for it's signal strength meter. Everything works great now.
It was very likely you were using the wrong name as I pointed out, glad you got it sorted.

Martin
(2023-12-29, 09:46 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]As you noted in another post (which I responded to earlier today)  you actually didn't have much space available and any recordings would filled it.  Hopefully you did a better job installing this time.

Martin

I stated in that post that I was using a 3tb partition for storage, but for some reason NPVR could only access a few MB. Mint doesn't come with an app to limit a users storage access. Since the PC is now a dedicated media server with little use for windows except to use the wintv app signal meter I took your advice and formatted the storage HD to ext4. After a reinstall and ditching a buggy HDHR that I suspect was defective all is great. Since it's now a dedicated media server the only reaon
In that post I also showed you that you had chosen the wrong name so it probably defaulted to the system partition as satforall was suggesting. Remember you created all those mount points which you should not have even needed to do for local storage. This thread on apt failure is on disk space too.

Using ext4 is the right decision and you are on the right track now, so all is good.
Might be worth noting for anyone coming across this thread it appears that both it and its associated thread here are now resolved.

https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=65302

I have to say that if a little more information was forthcoming from the OP in the first place there would not have been a need for the second thread.
Pages: 1 2