NextPVR Forums
  • ______
  • Home
  • New Posts
  • Wiki
  • Members
  • Help
  • Search
  • Register
  • Login
  • Home
  • Wiki
  • Members
  • Help
  • Search
NextPVR Forums Public Hardware v
« Previous 1 … 4 5 6 7 8 … 263 Next »
A device to capture Direct TV streams?

 
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A device to capture Direct TV streams?
Jakesty
Offline

Member

USA
Posts: 147
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
#1
2020-06-04, 06:23 AM
I'm considering alternatives to Xfinity, and wondering if there's a solution that I can use to capture or use Direct TV as a source.  I'd prefer it to be reliable and relatively simple.  Any tuner or other hardware out there that can do this?
thanks, Jake
Hypervisor Host, Linux Ubuntu VM, recording to QNAP NAS, NXTPVR 7.0.1.241229 

**I've donated, have you?** 2022, 2019, 2016
mvallevand
Online

Posting Freak

Ontario Canada
Posts: 56,839
Threads: 999
Joined: May 2006
#2
2020-06-04, 01:06 PM
No, satellite streams like cable signals are encrypted. In the US I figure the best choice for this type of recording is using Channels DVR with TV Everywhere https://getchannels.com/tv-everywhere but it actually relies on Internet streams not the satellite. You can also test it with Xfinity. The downside is recording local programming.

Martin
pkscout
Offline

Senior Member

USA
Posts: 464
Threads: 50
Joined: May 2014
#3
2020-06-04, 06:30 PM
You could technically use an analog encoder to capture the output from the DirecTV box, but that also requires an IR blaster. I do this for my cable provider because the only things I can get unencrypted are my locals. But I would not call it simple (even relatively), and it's borderline on reliable (I wrote an entire script to check and see if the cable box is on and turn it on if it isn't). I honestly probably wouldn't recommend it unless you want an ongoing hobby.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)



Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TBS6304T HDMI Capture mvallevand 18 3,644 2026-07-25, 10:41 PM
Last Post: mvallevand
  Magewell 11100 Quad-HDMI Capture Card Len_Lekx 6 4,021 2025-09-27, 12:16 AM
Last Post: boukmandutty
  Best UK Freeview capture device? bgowland 9 5,003 2025-05-08, 01:09 PM
Last Post: bgowland
  MyGica X692 Quad Capture Card Error LTKodiUser 1 3,490 2022-11-10, 11:27 AM
Last Post: mvallevand
  Magewell USB Capture DVI Plus not detected x0hs 7 5,872 2020-11-28, 12:06 AM
Last Post: x0hs
  Need a new HDMI capture card for nextpvr Kamakzie1976 4 4,841 2020-08-25, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Kamakzie1976
  USB HDMI Capture devices mvallevand 3 7,372 2020-07-29, 05:03 PM
Last Post: mvallevand
  DAB radio PC capture card Harfordg1 12 8,223 2020-07-06, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Graham
  External HDMI capture device? mattyb 22 18,399 2019-03-06, 04:44 PM
Last Post: sub
  Too Many Devices HDHR Prime; Unable to Capture brettlg 2 3,141 2019-02-16, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BrettB

  • View a Printable Version
  • Subscribe to this thread
Forum Jump:

© Designed by D&D, modified by NextPVR - Powered by MyBB

Linear Mode
Threaded Mode