NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Development ramblings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
maybe about the discs, i know some people are really against giving them up. i only buy discs to rip them to my NAS, i never actually watch them.

im more thinking about tvs with google tv/android (theyre ditching google tv and just calling it android for 2014, since GTV is just android with live tv support and running android 3.1). and if you want a cheap raspberrypi type device, a USD$100 GTV is a really great buy. im just going to put one in my sons room and use that.

the only thing im disappointed with is the netflix app doesnt support profiles. it does support the "Kids" menu/interface though. but like most, my main/default profile has become polluted with a whole bunch of stuff that i watched, my son watches, my brother/parents watched. would love to be able to reset that profile and then just use it as a kiddie profile.

but vudu, google movies, plex, all work great. really love the remote with it, brilliant idea making the trackpad the area with the navigational buttons. basically a inch by inch square, with arrow bumps to indicate where to push for navigation. if you swipe your finger about 1.5cm it activates a mouse poiner, then to clear the mouse just push a navigational button and your back. really really good design on that one. no "stop" button on the remote though... just a "back/return" button which doesnt always stop in some apps (it will in nextpvr when i get video playback working).
I agree for those that don't rip there DVD's, but I stop using a DVD players back around 2008 when ISO could be played on Nextpvr and XBMC, oh yea my 3 NMT plays ISO as well. Big Grin

I do have a VHS to DVD converter box but that is to convert home movies to DVD, then rip them and put the DVD's away for a backup copy.
I hardly ever watch BD on the player, and just rip when I purchase.

For series, it's a bit tougher.
Macgyver (cheesy, I know) took me a whole weekend to rip / encode, label etc for the 7 seasons (40 dvd's)

on another note:
Once I buy a house, I think I'll look at fitting out something like the google tv devices into workshop, garage etc.

Would you think the google tv is better to use than smarthub on a samsung tv? (ie, then I can use cheaper lcd's for these limited use areas)
i think google tv is better for plex, netflix (well no profiles, but neither does the 2012 devices), vudu, etc and has google movies. not sure if nextpvr will be that great on it yet, need to see if i can get playback working first.
updated some stuff in the portal, added help and instructions of how to install on a 2012 and 2013 samsung device

started adding a bug tracker system in there, so users can submit bugs and see what current bugs are outstanding (easier to keep track of than various forum threads).

moving the builds to the portal website, this makes it easier for me to publish a new build and also provides a place to download the google tv apk builds.
Got a long wait at "connecting to server" followed by something like "not authorised" last night and stopped there.

Does this mean that if your portal dies we're up the creek?
it should gracefully timeout after about 15 seconds, and continue. if its the first time youre using it, it should let you use it for 3 days without contacting the portal. if you've already contacted the portal, you should be good for 15 days since it last connected.

basically each time it contacts the portal it gets a new activation code that lasts for 15 days.
reven Wrote:it should gracefully timeout after about 15 seconds, and continue. if its the first time youre using it, it should let you use it for 3 days without contacting the portal. if you've already contacted the portal, you should be good for 15 days since it last connected.

basically each time it contacts the portal it gets a new activation code that lasts for 15 days.

15 seconds is probably right - my "long wait" might have been exaggerated due to panic. But I certainly got the not authorised or not registered message (can't recall the exact wording). I had registered on the portal the day before when I had the deleting wrong file problem. restarting your app a few minutes later and it worked ok. Anyway, panic over.
yeah there will be a few issues at first, just need lots of people testing out every possible scenario, so please report an issue if you find one.

i may tweak the timeout to be less, just need to see how well my server can handle requests.
got the vizio costar google tv yesterday. managed to get some recordings to play (ive transcoded all mine in attempt to get them to play on the neo tv without success, so i need to test some original .ts files).

interesting
- streaming doesnt work using nextpvr streaming.
- streaming works fine using IIS to just return the files
- streaming works a little using a simple ashx custom handler.

so ill need to work on the ashx handler and see if i can get it work perfectly then see if sub can adjust nextpvr to mimic it or something.

havent tried live tv yet, this could be a problem. for me recordings is all i want, but live tv would be nice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10